History

Christ English Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized on May 28, 1911 in the Albany Park district of Chicago. Using a portable chapel on the corner of Eastwood and Spaulding, the first service was held on January 22, 1911.

In October 1912 the congregation selected a site at Wilson and Spaulding Avenues and began construction of a permanent building in October 1913. The building was dedicated April 12, 1914. A parish house was completed in 1922 and a new sanctuary was built in 1923-24 and dedicated on April 27, 1924. The original building was used as chapel and gymnasium.

Pastors:
  • George P. Lottich
  • Jerome Kaufman
  • Roy Olson
  • Robert Holden
  • Michael Scheip
  • Thomas Terrell
Members who became pastors:
(with ordination date)
  • Kenneth Hurst, 1926
  • Irwin R. Kraemer, 1928
  • Frank Hurst, 1929
  • Herman Berngen, 1930
  • Albert E. Iverson, 1931
  • Warner E. Holmgren, 1933
  • G. Paul Lottich, 1934
  • Donald Krueger, 1940
  • Kenneth Merckx, 1949
  • Allen Forsman, 1954
  • Larry Donner, 1963

About

Live in Faith, Share Christ's Love

We are a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

Get in touch

Christ Lutheran Church
3253 W. Wilson Ave.
Chicago, IL 60625

(773) 478-7941

Connect With Us